Breaking Life Limits Through The Power of Prayer – Part IV
(A Case Study of JABEZ) – I Chronicles 4:9, 10.
“Oh, that you would keep me from evil!”
According to E.M Bounds, “God shapes the world by prayer. The more praying there is in the world, the better the world will be and the mightier the forces against evil everywhere. Prayer, in one phase of its operation, is a disinfectant and a preventive. It purifies the air; it destroys the contagion of evil.” These words of Bounds underscore how we should integrate the ministry of prayer in fulfilling God’s purpose on earth.
Jabez’s last request is a brilliant but little-understood strategy for sustaining a blessed life. You would think that a person with the hand of God upon him would pray, “Keep me through evil.” The fact is as your life transcends the ordinary and starts to encroach on new territory for God, guess whose turf you’re invading?
Our prayers so far have been for supernatural power to work through our weakness; in this one our petition is for supernatural help to protect us from Satan’s proven ability to make us come in second.
It is not enough to ask God for strength to endure temptations-for victory over the attacks of our raging adversary, Satan, but to ask Him to simply keep us away from temptation and keep the devil at bay in our lives. Remember the Lord’s Prayer, “And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.” (Matthew 6:13)
As we move deeper into the realm of the miraculous, the most effective war against sin that we can wage is to pray that we will not have to fight unnecessary temptation. And God offers us His supernatural power to do just that.
Become a Person of Prayer
Prayer is an act to be developed especially for those who undertake kingdom task. Prayer is not an option; it is a necessity. Every child of God, yea every minister is called to be a person of prayer. So who is a person of prayer? A person of prayer is characterized with the following:
- A person of prayer knows that prayer is a sacred trust from God.
- A person of prayer understands his or her purpose in life as God’s priest and intercessor for the world.
- A person of prayer has a relationship of trust with the heavenly Father and desires the world to experience the power of His presence and life.
- A person of prayer knows the will of God will flow forth from heaven to earth only through his prayers and the prayers of all God’s people.
- A person of prayer knows that nothing gets done on earth unless it is first established in heaven through the power of prayer.
Will you like to pray now that God will keep evil away from you so you can live to enjoy the abundance God has already credited to your account?
Note: Part of this work is adapted from “The Prayer of Jabez” by Bruce Wilkerson.
Photo by Diana Simumpande on Unsplash